Fun at Hunmanby Gap...
Good ideas for days out and holidays. Find out more about facilities offered at the beach and what to expect. Here's what we thought of it....
Hunmanby Gap and the glorious, flat sandy beaches here and at Reighton are fantastic places for just enjoying the wonderful scenery:
- coastal footpaths
- high cliffs of dark clay
- big skies, and even bigger seas..!
We like to walk along these stunning beaches and just let the dog run free - just to relax and take in the re-juvenating quiet of the beach.
The beaches are so massive that they nearly always feel quite deserted, even when it is actually quite busy!
- The cliffs are tall round here, and as they are made of clay tend to be quite crumbly. We've found a good place to get down to the beach at Hunmanby Gap.
- In Winter there's space to park a few cars only at the bottom of Sands Road, whilst in Summer a nearby field is opened up for car parking at a minimal charge.
- In the Summer, it is nice to start (or finish) your walk on the beach with a visit to the cliff top cafe (and toilets - very useful!). While the fare is basic - just what you would expect from this sort of seaside cafe/snack bar - the views more than compensate!
We really enjoy taking a seat for a while at the picnic tables outside... just to enjoy the spectacular views..!
- From here there are lovely cliff top walks in both directions - or you can take the short path down to the beach.
- The beach itself is beautiful, flat, wide and sandy. It stretches for miles, and you get fantastic views towards Filey to the north, and towards Bempton Cliffs and Flamborough Head in the south.
- The cliffs are tall, so the beach feels wonderfully sheltered and private. Even in the height of summer, the beach here is not as crowded as the more 'touristy' beaches at Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington.
Ian and I enjoy the peace and quiet on a January morning!
(I'm the one taking the pic!)
- It is a favourite place to let dogs run about - that's one of the main reasons that we go to this beach - especially to let our greyhound run free off the lead, in a massive and very safe area. You are also quite likely to see horses being exercised here.
- The last time we took our dog, Ginger, he had a fantastic time running around - but he did manage to jump into a big pile of wet clay!
He quickly sank in, up to his knees - it was very funny! We did have to laugh - but were then stuck with a big dog caked in mud for the rest of the day (which soon spread to our clothes)!! (not so funny!)...
So maybe just watch out for these super-muddy parts (up near the base of the cliffs) and try to avoid them!
- You could spend hours just relaxing on this beach at Hunmanby Sands- walking and soaking up the very tranquil atmosphere here, and the wonders of nature...
We love the massive skies and sandy beaches!
Hunmanby Gap on the Map
This map is interactive.
- Just use the + and - buttons in the top left corner of the map to zoom in and out.
- Use the arrows to move about the area.
Click here for the full functionality map of the area (Opens in a New Window - Use the 'View' Menu in the top left corner of the map for the further functions.)
Where to Stay:
Hunmanby Gap is close to Primrose Valley Holiday Park and Reighton Sands Holiday Park and is easily accessible from either.
(Click here for more information about these holiday parks)
Hoseasons have a holiday cottage at Hunmanby Gap too - (sleeps 4): More about 'Danesway' holiday cottage
It is also close to Hunmanby Hall (See Karen's submission).
Also in the area:
Close by are:
There are a number of good pubs nearby in Hunmanby village.
We ate out at The Railway Tavern
I do hope you enjoy your day out on the beach at Hunmanby Gap.
Read about more of our favourite Yorkshire coast beaches...
... or tell us about your best Yorkshire coast beaches...
Read another opinion about dogs on the beach here...
Return to find more Ideas for Days Out in the UK at the Yorkshire Coast.
Share your best days out at the Yorkshire coast, or read all about other people's best days out...
Find out more Filey tourist information.
Have you got your free subscription to 'Yorkshire Coast Lines' yet?
Receive your free, monthly, e-mail newsletter, full of ideas for days out and excursions along the Yorkshire coast, and upcoming local events... straight to your inbox.
Return from this Hunmanby Gap Days out in Yorkshire page to the Home Page.
Top of the Page
Search my site for a word or phrase:
Yorkshire East Coast Unofficial Guide
Bringing you ideas and information for your British holidays, short breaks and days out in the UK...
...from Whitby to Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington, Hornsea, Withernsea, North York Moors and beyond…
Discover and Enjoy Your Coastline…